Strawberry Twists with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 2 hours 8 mins
Strawberry Twists with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze are sure to become your new favorite addition to Sunday brunch! A homemade strawberry filling makes these twists extra special and delicious and the lemon cream cheese glaze is going to knock your socks off!
Serves: 24 twists
2 cups diced fresh strawberries
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp corn starch
4 - 41/2 cups all purpose flour
2¼ tsp active dry yeast
1¾ cups Almond Breeze Almondmilk
½ cup instant mashed potato flakes
6 tbsp butter, cubed
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
2 eggs, room temperature
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
½ tbsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp Almond Breeze Almondmilk
1 tbsp lemon zest
2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Stir the strawberries and sugar together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon juice and corn starch. Turn heat to medium and heat for another five minutes, stirring frequently, until the filling has noticeably thickened.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a heat safe container, like a glass canning jar, and refrigerated until needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1½ cups flour and the yeast. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the almondmilk, potato flakes, butter, sugar and salt until it reaches between 120F - 130F. I use my favorite digital candy thermometer to make sure I get it right on the money.
- Add the heated mixture and two eggs to the flour and yeast mixture and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Stir in as much flour as you can by hand or by using the "stir" setting on your mixer.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or other solid surface. Knead dough for about 5 minutes using additional flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- The dough should be smooth and elastic. Divide the dough in half.
- Lightly grease two medium bowls (I like to use butter). Place half of the dough in each bowl, turning the dough over once to grease the top of the dough.
- Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size - about an hour.
- Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out half of the dough at a time into a 12-inch x 8-inch rectangle.
- Spread half of the chilled strawberry filling down one half of the rectangle. (Picture above.)
- Pull the other half of the dough over the filling and press ends to seal.
- Cut into twelve even strips and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough and filling. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes or so, or until nearly doubled in size again.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle lemon cream cheese glaze on top and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
- Gently twists each strip
- Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, milk and lemon zest. Beat the powdered sugar in one cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.
via : momontimeout